Monday, August 24, 2009

"I can't ride behind him"

This past weekend, the SoCal Buell Riders Club went on a ride down Highway 94 and up Sunrise Highway, past Julian.

At one of our stops along the way, I heard one of the guys remark, "I can't ride behind him. He moves around on his bike too much. It's distracting!"

I was leading the ride, so I didn't get to see the rider they were talking about, but I was glad to hear it. Whoever they were talking about, he was riding a Buell the way it was meant to be ridden.

Watch a top pro surfer. He doesn't stand on the board like a wooden statue. He's always shifting around, moving on top of the board to cut the right line across the changing wave. That's how we ought to be riding our Buells.

As the "Book of Buell" says, "Sitting is not a sport."


Part of me wishes I hadn't been leading that ride. If I could have watched this guy, I might have learned something. Even at slower speeds, I try to at least shift my weight around. I'm not dragging my knee at 25 mph, but even slow speed corners are more fun (and more instructive) if I use them to practice moving around on the bike.

Wait. Is it possible they were talking about me? I don't know. What I do know is that I'll keep moving around on my Buell, learning new moves and how they affect the line my bike takes. Riding a Buell is supposed to be a ballet on a stage moving at 95 mph. Oh, sorry officer, I mistyped - 65 mph, of course.

I want to hear from you. Post your comments.

See the photos from our ride at http://www.meetup.com/SoCal-Buell-Riders/photos/694487/

2 comments:

  1. Wolf, I doubt if it was me. Maybe it might of been. I was purposely moving around a bit, trying to see which angle or line would be best for me to keep up with you and Jason.

    Troy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't you SUPPOSED to shift your weight to prperly manuver a corner?????

    ReplyDelete